A Wise Move – 6 Tips for Renovating Your Home
It is an exciting time – you are finally preparing for the extension that you have been dreaming of for years. You don’t want anything to spoil all the planning and preparations. With that in mind, I have prepared a few simple tips to help you in this process.
- Check with your local planning authority and enquire if you need planning permission – even though you may consider it a small renovation you need to ensure that you comply with all planning laws and regulations.
- Enlist the help of registered professionals – builders, architects and project managers – you want to avoid unnecessary delays and problems in the future. It is vital you obtain the necessary certifications from the architect and engineers to ensure you avoid any issues if you decide to sell or refinance.
- When seeking costs distinguish between an estimate (educated guess) and a quote (exact figure). It is always advisable to obtain a number of quotes to compare them. Please remember, the cheapest quote may not always be the best to choose.
- Ensure you have appropriate insurance cover and ask your suppliers for a copy of their insurance policies.
- Avail of the Home Renovation Incentive (HRI) Scheme for works carried out between 25 October 2013 and 31 December 2018. The scheme allows for tax relief through an income tax credit at 13.5% of a “qualifying expenditure on repair, renovation or improvement works”. The work must be carried out by qualified, tax-compliant contractors and the minimum spend is €4,405 (before VAT).
- Contact your solicitor – I can advise you on a number of areas, such as planning and the documents you should obtain from the builder and engineer, and any technicalities and reliefs associated with a renovation.
Since 1860, we have been helping people to navigate small hurdles and major challenges. If you are renovating a property, we will help you by providing sound advice and helping to ensure you are fully protected. At Sellors, we work hard to deliver an efficient, good value, conveyancing service; all to help you achieve a seamless transaction from start to finish.
Gillian Butler is a conveyancing solicitor at Keating Connolly Sellors and has several years’ in-depth experience in dealing with residential property transactions. If you are renovating your house or apartment – or buying or selling property – contact Gillian at [email protected] or call +353 (0)61 414 355 or +353 (0)61 432 316.
The material contained in this article is for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal or other professional advice. We advise people to always seek specific expert advice for individual circumstances.